Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ubuntu Women

I finally had the opportunity to meet with the Ubuntu Women group for the monthly meeting in IRC chat!   The group welcomes new women with open arms and has great leadership within the Ubuntu Project. I joined the group when I started working at System76 because their mission is to involve more women, mentor and inspire others to contribute to the Ubuntu project. Lyz is the head chick and does a ton for the project. I can't believe how much she contributes while working full-time! I felt out-of-place when I discovered Ubuntu because I'm not a developer and the project mostly consists of males. I stumbled across Ubuntu Women, the Colorado Loco group, and the Ubuntu News Team and instantly felt comfortable with the community. I'm thankful there are so many groups to be involved with and I'm totally excited to contribute as much as I can to the Ubuntu project through these groups!